Click here for current content and work posted on the Activities Page.
The Democratic Classroom is a Learn/Build. We will acquire (the Learn) knowledge and skills that strengthen our capacity to develop effective democratic learning environments by developing (the Build) support structures and processes that facilitate democratically-based learning by students. The learn/build follows the inquiry model developed by Barbara Stripling — moving through Connect, Wonder, Investigate, Construct, and Express (with Reflection throughout).
The calendar of our work. Every three weeks, we will meet synchronously online — using the CoLearning meeting space. Between synchronous meetings, we’ll do work we’ve set for ourselves; that work is posted on the learn/build’s Activities page. The date and time for each synchronous meetings will be posted, but generally each will occur on a Monday, from 4 to 5 p.m.
- October 24, 2011 — Connect – First synchronous meeting
(You can view/hear a recording of the meeting.)
- October 25-November 13 — Group work on Connect & Wonder activities
- November 14, 2011 — Wonder — Second synchronous meeting
Later dates will become more precise as we make progress. The windows are:
- November 15–December 3, 2011 — Investigate
- December 4, 2011–January 15, 2012 — Construct
- January 16–February 17, 2012 — Express
- February 17–29, 2012 — Reflect
Objectives: Through this learn/build we will gain…
- Compelling understanding of what a democratic classroom is;
- An idea how to build a culture and implement a democratic classroom;
- A stronger understanding of how to build an inquiry-based classroom;
- Deeper and more sustained habits of mind and practice as collaborative, networked, democratic learners;
- The development of effective learning-support structures and processes that they can use to facilitate democratically-based learning by their students.